Pages

Sunday, April 4, 2010

La Union, you keep me coming back for more


Just got back from my La Union trip yesterday and as usual I'm still stoked with surfing :) It's been my 6th time in San Juan, La Union and I just couldn't get enough of this beach. After all, this is my happy beach! So it deserves to be my first travel entry.

I just love the local vibe in LU. The people especially the surf instructors are really friendly. The beach is homey and very accessible, just a few steps
from the highway. The resorts are decent and clean for a pocket-friendly price. The waves are just perfect for beginners. I love sunsets and San Juan sunset is one the most beautiful I’ve ever seen, promise! Need I say more? That's why this place has become closer to my heart and I just keep on coming back.


How to get there
Several bus lines going to the North (Vigan, Laoag, Abra) pass by San Juan, La Union. I usually ride the Farinas Bus in Laong Laan (723-8580)
since it’s closer to my house and take the last trip at 11:30 pm. The fare is only Php 310. But you can also ride the Partas Bus in Aurora Blvd. (725-1740) and Florida Bus in Espana (731-4473). These buses pass by San Juan, La Union. Just tell the driver to drop you off at Sebay Resort, it’s the most obvious landmark there.

From La Union to Manila, you have two options. You can just wait in the highway for the same buses bound to Cubao/Pasay. Or you can take a jeep to San Fernando for a Php 10 fare. Get off the Partas or Genesis bus terminals. Simple, eh?


What to do
SURFING. You shouldn’t leave San Juan without trying this.
I’m not a swimmer and I was hesitant at first to try surfing. But what the heck, I tried it anyway. The water is shallow if you're worried about falling from your board, it's just waist deep. So don't be scared. Alrightie? Surf lessons are offered at Php 400/hour which includes a lesson from a surf instructor and board rental. Or you can rent a board from Php 600-900/day.

SKIMBOARDING. I’ve seen a lot of kids try skimboarding. The waves for surfing that hit the shore are just as good for skimboarding. I think you can rent a board for Php 200/day.

Other sports like frisbee and volleyball are also fun things to do aside from surfing. You
can just swim and play in the waves.


Where to stay
There are several choices for every budget. You can stay at the San Juan Surf Resort
which is owned by Luke Landrigan, the Filipino-Aussie surf champion based in La Union. They also have a surf shop where you can buy Billabong rashguards and board shorts, flip-flops, surf boards, and other surf items. The resort also offers surf lessons.

Se-bay is another good place to stay. I’ve stayed here once and room is quite big for 4-5 persons. They have a restaurant and offers surf lessons as well.

In most of my trips to La Union, I’ve stayed in the beach house owned by another local surfer Joy Ishii. We used to call it Ishii Residence but recently the owner named it JW Surfers Lodge. I love staying in this house. The air-conditioned rooms are spacious and have really nice views of the beach. They only have one fan room suitable for big groups which can fit 10 people. I will blog about this separately :) This place is not as popular compared to the resorts I mentioned, that’s why for me it’s San Juan’s best-kept secret!


Where to Eat
Most resorts have their own restaurants. But going back to La Union for several times already, I discovered some must-try eating places. Midway Grill is definitely on the top of my list. A must-try is their grilled dishes like blue marlin or tuna served with garlic rice and veggies on the side. Another is babyback ribs! Don't forget to order their mango shake. It's really good and it tastes like milkshake. It's the best mango shake in town :) Midway is a 5-10 minute jeepney ride from San Juan. Just take a jeep with a Sn. Fdo signboard. It’s located at the right side of the road going to San Fernando, before Shell Gas station.

Or you can also try lutong-bahay at Happy Tummy in San Fernando. The price is affordable and you can try local dishes like bagnet rice toppings. Yumyum : )

Now, that’s La Union for me. Stoked and sunburned.


Contact details
Farinas Bus Company
Lacson St. Sampaloc, Manila
743-8580

Partas Bus Company
Aurora Blvd. cor Bernardino St., Quezon City
725-1740

San Juan Surf Resort
www.sanjuansurfresort.com
(072)720-0340

Sebay
http://sebay.cjb.net/
(072)888-4075

JW Surfer’s Lodge
http://www.jwsurferslodge.com/
0929-413-9102

No comments:

Post a Comment