Pages

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Surfing @ Bagasbas Beach

Bagasbas Beach is located in Daet Camarines Norte in the Bicol Region. I am a Bicolana but I haven’t really visited this part of the region. Although Bagasbas Beach is not as popular as other surfing destinations like La Union, Baler, and Siargao, it is slowly gaining name in the surfing community. 

The waves here are just right for beginners and intermediate surfers. Waves can go as low from 2-3-ft on an ordinary day and as high as 6-8-ft when a typhoon is coming. Bagasbas Beach is fronting Pacific Ocean and that explains why it has consistent waves for surfing.

Photobucket


After our Calaguas beach camping, we had  a surfing sidetrip to Bagasbas Beach. We reached the beach around 3pm. It was already late for surfing but we wanted to surf anyway. Never mind the delay in the boat transfer from Calaguas to Vinzons and the boat mishap we had (the boat engine died when we were almost near the port). We had a late lunch first and settled  at Surfer’s Dine-Inn.


Photobucket
Tired but still smiling
As soon we were done with lunch, we changed into our swimwear and rashguards and prepped into another surfing experience. The last time I went surfing was October 2011 in La Union and I remember catching big waves which I wasn't aware of. My surf instructor has this habit of not telling me if I am about to catch a big wave. And I never ever looked back so I won't get scared :D

We paid Php400/hr for the surfing lessons which included surfboard rental and lessons from an instructor.


Photobucket
Learning the basic moves again
Since I started surfing in 2009, I was officially hooked to it. Although my surfing skill is still for beginner, I still enjoy the sport and I don't have the intention to take it to the advance level. On the good side, I think my skills have improved since I can now ride shortboards and I am able to do a back stance and maneuver my surfboard sideways. I actually don’t know how to swim that’s why it’s important to me that I surf in shallow waters.

We caught a few good waves that day.
The waves are gentler that afternoon compared to what we normally experience in La Union.

Here are some of our best rides caught in cam. 

Photobucket
Yana's lucky day. She caught almost all the waves she tried.

Photobucket
 Ru. I love the facial expression!

Photobucket
Jervin, the new recruit. Yeah!

Photobucket
Et moi! Getting stoked again. 
We surfed until sundown to our heart’s content.  I will come back when I get the chance. 
Bagasbas beach is another surfing spot we discovered. 

What's the best word to describe this experience?  STOKED.  
Photobucket
Hang loose!

2 comments:

  1. We are from Bicol too but haven't been to Bagasbas. Hope we could visit soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a nice place to enjoy the beach and learn surfing.

    ReplyDelete