Pages

Monday, September 12, 2011

Camiguin Escapade (Day 2)

It’s very usual for me to wake up early while on vacation. I don't wanna waste my time sleeping instead of preparing myself for the day ahead. So waking up early on this day wasn’t new to me. Well besides that, we had to because we will be traveling from Cagayan de Oro proper to Balingoan Port where we had to catch the ferry to CAMIGUIN! Yes finally Camiguin!
Ready for the day!

We rented a Toyota Vios taxi to bring us to Balingoan port which is a 1.5 hours drive. We paid Php1500 for the one way ride and we contracted the driver to fetch us the next day once we’ve returned from Camiguin.

The ferry ride took more than an hour.


We finally arrived in Benoni Port in Mambajao, which is the capital of Camiguin. The sight of the Sleeping Pregnant was a view to behold! See it?

Our first glimpse of Camiguin Island

Camiguin is said to be the island born of fire. There are seven volcanoes in the island and there are still several volcanic domes. Aside from its fine sand and white beaches, the island is known for producing the sweetest lanzones in the world. The Lanzones Festival is celebrated during October of the year and our timing was just right, it was the harvest season for lanzones.

We were fetched by our tour guide in Benoni Port. He drove us to our accomodation. We stayed at
Enigmata Tree House Ecolodge. This lodge was highly-recommended by one of my backpacker friends who also stayed at the tree house.

Enigmata

Tree house

I say that we had the very unique experience in staying in a real tree house. What are the chances that city folks like us will sleep in a tree house for a night? We had the Eagle’s Nest Suite which is the topmost and largest room. It has a huge receiving and dining areas, a bathroom, small kitchen, and a room with two beds. What was really unique about our accommodation is that there is a small nook at the top room which you can open and you’ll see the canopy of trees. Really cool.
The bed is very inviting...isn't it?

Aside from being a lodge, Enigmata Tree House is an artsy-fartsy place. They have an art gallery, library café, and a garden. It is an artist’s haven.
Every nook is interesting

Enigmata Tree House only serve vegetarian food and we had veggies, brown rice, and pizza for lunch.
Our no-meat lunch

After eating, we were picked up by our local guide to finally start with our tour. Since we only have half-day to go around Camiguin, we decided that we'll go to Katibawasan Falls, White Island, and Ardent Hot Sping that afternoon, as suggested by our guide.
Camiguin map of interest

Our first stop was Katibawasan Falls. The water from the falls was flowing thinly and kept being blown by the wind.
Obligatory group shot :)

I found a big pumpkin which I almost wanted to take home!
Pumpkin me!

Then, we were off to the famous White Island. We rented a small boat that would bring us there. We paid Php700 for the roundtrip transfers for six persons.

We conquered the island!

White Island...One of my fave places in PINAS!

White Island is a small piece of sandbar that formed into an island. It has no vegetation nor any plant life. It was formed from dead coral reefs that piled together forming into one tiny island.

The White Island offers a great view of the Sleeping Pregnant.

with the Sleeping Pregnant in the background

I can’t describe how much I was awed by the simple beauty of the White Island. So go ahead and see the photos..


Sandbar

I love it here!

We made the most of our time in the island, even with the scorching weather. You can just imagine how dark I was after I came back from this trip. With no shade to hide under except your hair!
with constant travel buddies. we're counting places!

Power 4!

Ahhh, this was pure beach bliss! I wish I'd never leave Camiguin.
Camiguin is LOVE!

We left the island around 4pm and then we proceeded to Ardent Hot Springs.

The warm water from the spring was just exactly what we needed. Having done rafting the day before left us with aching bodies. The temperature of the mineral pool can reach as high as 400C. It was soothing just soaking in the hot spring with the cool night breeze :)

Soaking in the warm water

After a quick dip, we had dinner this time at Vjandep Restaurant which is famous for their pastel - soft buns with filling.

I can't remember what I ate but I'm sure I finished it.


No leftovers please.

We surely love drinks after a meal.
Kampay!

Before we could finally rest, this gecko kept on pestering us by its croaking sound.
Tukooooooo

I must say that night was a blur. I only remember beaching at White Island and sleeping soundly in our tree house, only to wake up the next day with a thought that it was time to leave Camiguin.
Our session in blur

But hey, not just YET.

*One of my goals for my blog this year is to write all my travel posts since I started traveling. This is a backlog post. To the best of my memory, I've written this Camiguin post which happened in 2009. Better late than never!

No comments:

Post a Comment