Pages

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Surf’s Up in La Union

We’ve been planning this trip for the longest time for my bff Yana’s short vacay from Dubai. Last year, we spent 3 days in Baler and for this year’s getaway, it was a Northern exposure trip which included San Juan La Union, Thunderbird Resort in Poro Point, and Baguio. We are regular beach goers to La Union because we enjoy surfing so much. We all agreed that our trip must begin in none other than San Juan, La Union.

We rode the Farinas Trans bus from its terminal in Lacson St., Sampaloc (just very near UST). We caught the last trip at 11:30pm. It was just me, Erick, and Ru for this trip since Yana and JB will be following the next morning. Yana’s flight from Legazpi got cancelled so she and JB weren't able to take the bus with us to La Union.

It was a 5-hr trip from Manila to La Union. We greeted dawn at the highway of San Juan and immediately went to San Juan Surf Resort - the resort we’re checked in. We waited until 7am for the early check-in. Boohoo.. So, Erick, Ru, and I stayed at their reception and passed the time by telling stories.

At around, 7am we were finally provided the key to our room. Our no-frills room included two queen-size beds, extra pull-out beds, a fridge, TV with cable, and a bathroom. We paid a total of Php3030 for the overnight stay for 5 persons which included a fee for early check-in. A complimentary breakfast for two is also included.

San Juan Surf Resort

The day was gloomy with a hint of sunlight piercing against the clouds. The waves are stronger and higher than the usual. Beginner and pro- surfers crowd the 1-km beach stretch, all waiting for good waves to ride. When we finally hit the beach, we just played in the water and beach-bummed. We decided to surf the next day.

So there, this beach day meant more lazing around, swimming, and playing frisbee.

It rained later in the afternoon and the waves were just so inviting. I had the urge to surf already but thought twice and finally settled that tomorrow is the surfing day. Unfortunately, there was no sunset that afternoon. San Juan’s sunset is one of the most dramatic I’ve seen.

We all tidied up and waited for Yana and JB to arrive. They’re on travel for six hours already. When they finally arrived, we scouted a place for dinner. Since everyone was hungry, we just settled with the nearby resto/resort, Sebay. After dinner, we slept early because everyone was tired. This day, nothing happened. We just slept, played in the waves, and ate. In other words *chillax mode*

The next day was sunny and it was just perfect to go out in the beach. The morning started with flat waves. But after we had breakfast, there were a few good waves we can catch. We met our surfing instructors from the other resort, Sebay. I’ve always had the same instructor for the past two years that I’ve been coming back to La Union. Jericho used to be an instructor at the surf resort we're staying at but he transferred to Sebay. Surfing lessons is still at Php400/hour which hasn't changed since I first tried it in 2009. If you want to rent a surfboard, it'd cost Php400-600 for half-day depending on the type of board (short or long).

Flat day!

After the refresher course of how to stand and balance on a surfboard, we’re off to surfing! Yihee.

This time, I used the shortboard which measured 6’7” inches! It has always been my dream to ride one of those. You see, short boards are built for speed and maneuverability and these are not the best boards for beginners. I find it more comfortable to ride the long board at 9’ to 12’. It’s more stable and it's easier to balance on it because it is heavier than my weight. But Jericho, my instructor, said that I am ready for the shortboard. So I did!

Surfing team :)

Although, I’ve surfed a dozen of times already, I always feel the nervousness coupled with excitement everytime I am in the water especially when I know that a good wave is coming.

Here are my surfing stunts as caught on cam!

HANG LOOSE

Honestly, I didn't know that I was riding a big wave because I am not looking back when the wave is coming. I just let it take and move my board and that's my signal to stand on my board.

My game face when surfing :P

Feeling kinda awkward with my stand.. but wth just ride the waves :P

Erick and Yana also caught good waves and they seldom fell from their boards. There were times that I told Jericho that I should have just used the long board because I feel awkward balancing in the shortboard. I feel think I am a much better surfer using the long board.

my surfer babe bestfriend :)

It's a great feeling to be surfing together with two of my most favorite people - with my best friend and my boyfriend <3.

and my surfer dude boyfriend

Surfing can be so addicting. I am quoting the legendary surfer Paul Strauch "Surfing is very much like making love. It always feels good, no matter how many times you've done it".

the gang!

After our surfing lessons, I lazed in the beach while they played frisbee. I savored our last hours in my happy beach. It was the first time that I was here on a weekday and on a Monday and the beach is totally different. With less crowd, the beach has a quiet vibe which made me want to stay longer.

I learned to surf!

I know for sure that I will always go back to La Union to feed my insatiable appetite for surfing or just simply beach bumming. After all, it is my happy beach and it feels like my second home :)

1 comment:

  1. That's great adventure, surfing on the big waves. shitifujon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete