Pages

Monday, May 2, 2011

Beware of Tuktuks in Bangkok

Let me share my tuktuk experience in Bangkok. A tuktuk is an auto rickshaw or three-wheeler tricycle very commonly used as a mode of transportation in Bangkok. Because of its relatively small size, they can enter "soi" or side streets branching from the main road. And more often than not, tuktuks are associated with gem factory scams which what happened to us.

To ride the tuktuk or not
As we were walking towards Wat Pho, a “tourist police” stopped us and informed us that the temple is closed for an hour for prayer time. He suggested that we go to other attractions such as the gem factory. And before we know it, he hailed a tuktuk for us and told him to bring us to the gem factory where his wife just bought jewelry on sale. As soon as we rode the tuktuk I realized right there and then that we fell into a tourist trap. But we really had no choice, we were in the middle of I-don’t-know-where and the rain just started to pour.

The tuktuk driver brought us into a jewelry shop but we didn’t dare to buy anything. It was darn expensive and they don’t accept MasterCard. Maybe the tuktuk driver thought he didn’t get any commission from us so he brought us to another gem factory. And this is where we spent three friggin’ hours.

Being a girl, I wouldn’t deny that I was tempted to buy the ruby ring the sales attendant offered me. She kept on telling me that ruby signifies love. She must have thought that I was with my boyfriend. It looks simple but elegant with small diamonds around it. Plus it fits me perfectly! Well....I didn’t buy because it wasn’t on my budget. I was looking forward to Bangkok clothes and shoes shopping. For a second, I wanted to pull my credit card from my wallet thinking that the ring would my birthday gift to myself. But who am I kidding?! The whole trip minus the shopping is a gift to myself already. When the attendant noticed that I wouldn’t buy it, she tried persuading Erick in a subtle way to buy it for me. Haha but he didn’t buy it. Poor attendant, she didn’t get anything from us.

To avoid an impulsive buy, Erick and I checked the souvenir shop instead which sold all sorts of stuff from ref magnets, soaps, bags, and t-shirts. We waited for the girlfriends as they were having a fancy time fitting all the rings ;) Whew, after almost 2 hours, they emerged from the store all giddy. Abby bought an opal earrings and Tata had a sapphire ring. At least the girlfriends were happy. After three hours, we are finally back on track. But we only have an hour left to visit  Wat Pho. Ayayay.

The whole tuktuk experience was a misadventure for me but my friends were happy with their purchase. If you aren’t really keen on going to gem factories, be wary of tuktuk drivers or poser tourist police telling you that there’s a gem factory blah-blah-blah. Just simply say no and walk away.

No comments:

Post a Comment